My Mother Understands My Yarn “Issues”
Winner of Thursday’s giveaway is…….Tami Dragon.
As I think back to all my mother has taught me, I am reminded of just how dedicated she was to her children. Her second greatest accomplishment (in my opinion) was teaching me to crochet. ;) As I began thinking about what to put in this post, I was reminded of this Mother’s Day Tribute that I wrote about my mother two years ago. The second post that came to mind was the one below…..I thought it was worth reposting. And all you yarn junkies will probably agree with me. :)
My Mother The Enabler
First, let me say, I love my mother. I’m not calling her an enabler. That’s what she called herself.
Let me give you a few quick & condensed descriptions of my mother. (you will need it for this story to be funny).
- She grew up in a family of 11 children and I’m sure they didn’t have much. So, now when she has something, she’s reluctant to let it go because she may later need it and not have it.
- She was a widow for 21 years, until May 2010 when she got married.
- She has lived alone for many years, as her children are now grown & gone.
- Because of all these things combined, she has accumulated “stuff”. (don’t go overboard with the picture I’m describing, by no means is her house overrun)
- Now that she’s married, she’s trying very hard to destash to make room for hubby’s things too.
Ok, now that you know that about my mother, here’s what happened this past weekend. The phone rang, and I just know when it’s my mother….
Mom: “Heelllooo, this is your mama, then enabler.” (this was my first clue that she was up to no good.)
Me: “I DON”T want it. Throw it away.”
Mom: “Oh, you want this.”
Me: “Mom, no I don’t. I’m trying to get rid of my own garbage, I really don’t.”
Mom: “Ok, if you don’t want it I’ll give it to someone else, but trust me. You want it.”
Me: “No, I don’t.”
Mom: “Oh, you do.”
This went back and forth for at least a minute or two.
Me: “Mom (probably sounding a little more aggravated than I should), I REALLY don’t want it.”
Mom: “Oookayyy, if you’re sure.” (sounding a little sinister – just to get my attention – well she had it now)
Me: “What is it?” (again probably sounding a little aggravated.)
Mom: “You know those big storage totes you bought me. Well, I have 2 big boxes, the size of those, full of yarn.”
Me: “YES!!! I’LL TAKE IT!!!”
From mom I got no comment…..just hysterical laughter.
Did I ever tell you I love my mom :)