Look Like A Professional
Whether you crochet to make money, or strictly to give away, you should always put 100% effort into your projects. Here are some quick and easy tips to accomplishing a professional look.
1) Keep your stitches even - If your tension is not consistent it will show in the big picture. If you’re new to crochet, it will come with time, just keep practicing.
2) Do not knot your work when you tie off – some of you just said, “WHAT?!?!” I used to do it too. A knot is larger than your work and can/will work it’s way back out of the project. Trust me, I’ve never had a project come undone from not tying a knot in the end.
3) Properly tie in your ends - While some think this isn’t important, others may see it as not a big deal. I have run into quite a few projects in the last few years that either didn’t have the ends tied in at all, or they were poorly tied in. Both scenarios left a lasting impression….but not a good one. Below is a good example:
We were on vacation, and went into our favorite country store. I found a milk crate full of handmade dishcloths. They were all knit (which I don’t do) so I wanted to purchase a few to support another crafter. I was immediately turned off by the fact that she knotted her work and she didn’t tie in her ends! Those 2 simple little things would have helped her sales.
Want to know how to finish off without the knot? Click here for a photo tutorial I did.
4) Keep your work free of odor – Especially if this gift is for a baby or someone with allergies! If you smoke, or have pets, please be considerate of the recipient.
5) Don’t rush – Take your time. Put tons of love into your project. The person receiving your hard work will appreciate it.