Tunisian TPS Dishcloth – Free Crochet Pattern
Did you try the TSS Dishcloth yet? If not, make sure you check it out. But today, let’s learn Tunisian Purl Stitch with the TPS Dishcloth pattern.
This TPS Dishcloth pattern has instructions for both #3 DK weight and #4 worsted weight. No matter what yarn you have in your stash you’ll be able to try it!
The yarn weight options are written separately; first written with the #3 DK weight and then the #4 worsted weight in parenthesis.
*This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you) if you subscribe or purchase something through the links provided. Please note: I will never become an affiliate partner for a product or service that I don’t use and love! Not all links are affiliates.
TUNISIAN TPS DISHCLOTH PATTERN
Finished Measurements: Approx. 8” square
Yarn: #3 (DK weight) or #4 (worsted weight) yarn – 2.5 oz.
#3 Cotlin by KnitPicks (my favorite cotton!)
#4 Peaches & Creme in Navy (I believe Peaches & Creme is discontinued, but Sugar ‘n Cream is a great substitute. They are almost identical.)
Size I/9 (5.5 m) Tunisian hook (for #3 DK weight dishcloth)
Size J/10 (6 mm) Tunisian hook (for #4 worsted weight dishcloth)
Please Note: I used a cable hook, but you could use straight Tunisian hook if you prefer.
Notions: Yarn Needle
Gauge: 15 sts and 14 rows = 4 inches
- Tunisian Purl Stitch (tps) – bring working yarn in front of hook, insert hook under next vertical bar, yo, pull up loop. (CLICK HERE FOR TUTORIAL)
- Return Pass (RetP) – Yo, pull through 1 loop on hook, *yo, pull through 2 loops, repeat from * across.
- Tunisian Simple Stitch Slip Stitch (tps sl st) – bring working yarn to front of hook, insert hook under next vertical bar, yo, pull through both loops (sl st made).
If you’d like to see a video tutorial of this dishcloth you can CLICK HERE.
- For a list of abbreviations please see my List of Abbreviations.
- Size of dishcloth can be adjusted by any number of stitches.
- You can use any weight yarn – just go up 2 – 3 hook sizes larger than the yarn recommends.
- DK weight dishcloth pattern is written first with worsted weight stitch counts in parenthesis.
#3 DK weight yarn, ch 33,
#4 worsted weight, ch 31,
Row 1: Insert hook in back ridge of 2nd ch from hook, yo, pull up loop, *insert hook in back ridge of next ch, yo, pull up loop, repeat from * across. RetP (see Special Stitches).
Row 2: skip 1st vertical bar (directly below loop on hook), *bring yarn in front of work/hook, working behind yarn insert hook under next vertical bar, wrap yarn in back of hook, yo, pull up lp, rep from * across. RetP.
Rows 3 – 30 (27): Repeat Row 2. Do not fasten off.
Bind Off Row: Skip 1st st, *tps sl st (see Special Stitches) in next tps, rep from * across to last st, insert hook through both loops of last st, yo, pull up loop.
The Tunisian dishcloths are great for practicing your Tunisian stitches and skills, craft fairs, or even giving as a gift set. Below are the others in this series:
TPS Dishcloth (this post)
Tunisian Dishcloth Pattern Set
The downloadable ad-free PDF, which includes all 3 dishcloths, is available for purchase in my shops: