Lexi Tunisian Preemie Blanket Crochet Pattern
I’m excited to have another chance to participate in the 2nd Annual Preemie Crochet Challenge and am offering the Lexi Tunisian Preemie Blanket pattern as part of the challenge!
Premature babies hold a special place in my heart. My very first design was the result of a good friend delivering her baby at 29 weeks. That was the start of my design journey and I still love going back to that and designing new blankets for preemie babies.
Many hospitals will allow preemie blankets to keep babies born prematurely warm. Check with your local hospital’s NICU department to see if they are accepting preemie blankets for their babies and what their specific regulations might be.
The Lexi Tunisian preemie blanket uses a basic tunisian stitch. By changing colors in a different place than “normal” it carries the opposite color behind the working color. The blanket size is easily adjustable for anyone, not just a preemie.
*This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may receive a small commission (at no cost to you) if you subscribe or purchase something through the links provided. Please note: I will never become an affiliate partner for a product or service that I don’t use and love! Not all links are affiliates.
This blanket is a featured pattern in Preemie Crochet Challenge 2021. From 8/18/21 through 8/31/21 you can get a free copy of the PDF. Each copy downloaded during the month is a pledge to make and donate an item to your local NICU unit. Head over to the main blog post HERE to grab the download coupon, then come back here and use the download button.
LEXI TUNISIAN PREEMIE BLANKET
Finished Sizes: 18″ wide x 20″ long (easily adjustable)
Yarn: #5 bulky/chunky weight
Sample A (pink & gray) used:
– Yarn Bee Sweet Delight Chunky Baby in Pink-a-Boo Marled (A) – 100 yds
– Yarn Bee Sweet Delight Chunky Baby in Toy Elephant Marled (B) – 100 yds
Sample B (blue & gray) used:
– Loops & Threads Charisma in Charcoal (A) – 100 yds
– Loops & Threads Charisma in Sky Tweed (B) – 100 yds
Hook: Size N/15 (10 mm) Tunisian Cable Hook Change hook size to get correct gauge if needed.
Notions: Yarn Needle
Difficulty: Beginner – Uses basic Tunisian stitches and no shaping.
bo – bind off
tss – Tunisian simple stitch
yo – yarn over
For a full list of abbreviations, please see my LIST OF ABBREVIATIONS.
• Tunisian Simple Stitch (tss) – insert hook from behind vertical bar, yo, pull up a loop. For tutorial, please see my Tunisian Simple Stitch post.
• Return Pass (RetP) – yo, pull through 1st loop on hook, * yo, pull through 2 loops, repeat from * across until 1 loop remains.
• Sl St Bind Off (sl st bo) – skip 1st vertical bar, *insert hook behind next
vertical bar, yo, pull loop through both loops on hook.
- Pattern can be adjusted by adding any number of stitches.
- There is no turning during this project. All rows are with RS facing.
- You can use a regular hook for the bind off row.
- Tip – If the bind off row is too loose/wide you can go down a hook size.
With color A, ch 42
Row 1: Insert hook in back ridge of 2nd ch from hook, yo, pull up loop, *insert hook in back ridge of next ch, yo, pull up loop, repeat from * across. Change to color B and RetP (see Special Stitches).
Row 2: With color B, skip 1st vertical bar, *tss in next st, repeat from * across to last st, insert hook through both loops of last st. Change to color A and RetP.
Row 3: With color A, skip 1st vertical bar, *tss in next st, repeat from * across to last st, insert hook through both loops of last st. Change to color B and RetP.
Rows 4 – 40: Repeat Rows 2 & 3. Do not fasten off.
Bind Off Row: Skip 1st st, *tss sc (see Special Stitches) in next tss, rep from * across to last st, insert hook through both loops of last st, yo, pull up loop, yo, pull through both loops.
Fasten off. Weave in ends.