Reflections Tunisian Scarf – Free Crochet Pattern
Ready to step up your Tunisian skills without making the pattern harder? This Reflections Tunisian Scarf pattern will help you do just that. It uses basic Tunisian stitches and skills and adds a bit of colorwork changes to enhance the look of the scarf.
The scarf is made side to side and you leave the ends as fringe, so there are no ends to tie in. Yay! Leave it curled for a fun look or block it for a traditional flat scarf look.
Finished Sizes: approx. 5.5” wide x 74” long, before fringe
Yarn: #4 worsted weight (12 oz total) – Sample used: Hobby Lobby I Love This Yarn! in Brown and Soft Pink
Hook: L/11 (8 mm) Tunisian hook & J/10 (6 mm) regular hook (Change hook size to get correct gauge if needed.)
Notions: Yarn Needle
Difficulty: Beg/Advanced Beginner
Easy pattern but the color changes add a bit of skill.
- Pattern can be adjusted by adding any number of stitches.
- MC is worked on the forward pass and CC is worked on RetP (for every row).
- The most challenging part of this pattern is the amount of ends to tie in. I recommend tying them in every few rows. It will prevent the left side from trying to come undone.
- You can use a regular hook for the bind off row. Tip – If the bind off row is too loose/wide you can go down a hook size.
- Blocking scarf will eliminate the curling that happens with Tunisian.
- ch – chain
- bo – bind off
- RetP – return pass
- tss – Tunisian simple stitch
- yo – yarn over
REFLECTIONS TUNISIAN SCARF CROCHET PATTERN
- Tss (Tunisian Simple Stitch) – insert hook behind vertical bar, yo, pull up loop.
- RetP (Return Pass) – Yo, pull through 1 loop, *yo, pull through 2 loops, rep from * across until 2 stitches remains on hook.
- Tss bo (Tunisian Simple Stitch Bind Off) – insert standard hook through next st as for tss, yo, pull up loop, yo, pull through both loops on hook.
With MC, ch 240.
Row 1: Insert hook in back ridge of 2nd ch from hook, yo, pull up loop, *insert hook in back ridge of next ch, yo, pull up loop, repeat from * across. Change to CC and RetP across until 2 sts remain on hook, yo with MC and pull through last 2 loops.
Row 2: With MC, skip 1st vertical bar, *tss in next st, repeat from * across. Change to color CC and RetP (see Special Stitches).
Rows 3 – 13: Repeat Row 2. Do not fasten off.
Bind Off Row: With smaller, regular hook, skip 1st st, *tss sc (see Special Stitches) in next tss, rep from * across to last st, insert hook through both loops of last st, yo, pull up loop, yo, pull through both loops.
Cut 26 – 12” pieces in each color.
Using 1 strand for each fringe section, secure fringe in ends of each row alternating colors across. Cut fringe to approx. 5”.
Looking for help on your fringe, visit my blog post HERE.
Keep scarf as is for the curling, fun effect. Or you can block scarf so it will lay flat.