Finding Consistency in the Midst of Chaos
Consistency is the first thing that went out the window when schools closed, people started working from home, and stores & restaurants closed their doors. It’s made me realize just how much out bodies and our minds need it. So how do we go about finding consistency?
Below are some things I have found that help me find some consistency in the midst of chaos and I hope they’ll help you too.
FINDING CONSISTENCY IN THE MIDST OF CHAOS
If you’re anything like me, my guess is that your crochet is also put on the back burner when chaos strikes. BUT, it’s probably not the only thing. I’m guessing housework and self-care are also some things that get shoved to the side because of stress and overwhelm.
So how do we go about finding consistency in the midst of chaos? Whether you’re struggling with your business, can’t find time to crochet, or not sure how to homeschool your kids, I’ve come up with a few different ways that will help.
1) Make a conscious effort – I know this one sounds weird, but it works. Wake up every day and say “I will work on my business today” or “I will make time to crochet today”. When I remember to do this it works! Then get up and take a shower, get dressed like you’re leaving the house, and put on some makeup (if you normally wear some). This will make all the difference in your day!
2) Have a plan or objective – Most of us just go through our days out of habit. But that’s all been uprooted now that we’re staying home. Write down your plan for each day. Whether you have a plan for each category of your life (crochet, business, kids, fitness), or just one overall for the day, focus on each step of the process that will get you closer to the finish line.
3) Focus on Changing One Thing – Seriously, don’t try to give your life a makeover. You’ll just be setting yourself up for failure. If you’re trying to work on your business, pick one thing to work on this week. Trying to lose weight? Give up soda or go for a walk 3 times this week. Do you want to declutter your house while you’re out of work? Pick one room to work on (or even just a section of a room).
4) Don’t Binge Anything – Self-regulation is hard, but it’s worth it. Whether it’s crochet, tv, or food – don’t binge! That’s not the kind of consistency you’re looking for.
5) Remember that Feelings are Temporary – Please remember this. Chaos and change make it so hard to remember that sometimes the stress and overwhelm is only a temporary feeling based on the situation we’re in. Make sure you’re getting some physical activity (go for a walk!), eat healthier-ish (don’t eat a bag of Doritos for dinner!), and get enough sleep. This will help with your emotional well being.
Most of all…..hang in there. Thankfully we have internet and phone. Reach out and connect with others. And be kind. We’re all in this together.
Remember, sometimes consistency is a process. Most of the time it’s not something we can gain overnight. Tweak things as you go and make positive changes. Give yourself some grace and try again tomorrow (or this afternoon).